Monday, September 28, 2009

Questions for They Say/I Say

1. What is the purpose of this book? What idea or argument are the authors putting forth?

I think the purpose of this book is to educate young/inexperienced writers a way to effectively argue an idea or expression through the use of writing templates, primarily, the They say/I say template.

2. What is the "They Say / I Say" template? Have you ever used this in your writing?

The They say/I say template is a way to structure an argument using a statement or idea by a person, a group, or a large population, and then countering the statement using your own ideas or statement. I have probably used this template at some point in my writing but cannot recall a specific example. Going forward I will likely use this template, or one mentioned in the book.

3. The authors note that much intellectual writing is motivated by disagreement, but at the same time, agreement is not ruled out (Pg 8). What do they mean by this?

They mean exactly that. Their template works for whether you agree, disagree, or neither. Agreeing and disagreeing simultaneously is recommended by the authors as it "present a more complicated argument, while containing that complication within a clear 'on the one hand/on the other hand' framework."

4. Do templates stifle creativity?

According to the text, no. I can neither confirm nor deny this. I suppose we shall see.

5. What is the relationship between your thesis and the views of others, according to the authors? (pgs 18 - 19)

The relationship between your thesis and the views of others, according to the authors, should be presented in the following way: begin with a summary of the views of others to present the claim (that you'll be making) as part of a larger idea and follow with your own ideas regarding the claim. This way the other's work provides some of the framework and will clarify the issue your writing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment